Our investment process is designed to create broadly diversified portfolios that seek to minimize risk and maximize after-tax returns. Our investment philosophy rests squarely on the following beliefs:
- We believe in an evidence-based investment approach founded on the Nobel-Prize-winning “Modern Portfolio Theory.” Too often fear and greed, rather than a philosophy grounded in academic research, drive investment decisions.
- There are two roads one can follow when managing an investment portfolio: active management and evidence-based. Active management embraces the idea that a person can achieve superior returns over market indexes. In contrast, evidence-based management is about achieving, as closely as possible, the returns of the financial markets. Many academic studies conclude that active strategies typically under-perform index investing. This is due to poor market timing, poor investment choices, and excessive trading and high fees.
- It is impossible to time markets or to make successful tactical asset allocation shifts in any profitable manner. We believe such activity merely adds speculative risk, excessive costs and negative tax implications to the portfolio.
- We believe asset allocation is the most important decision in the investment process.
- We believe diversification, particularly global diversification, enhances returns and reduces risk.
- We believe systematic rebalancing is an effective way to increase long-term returns.
- We believe lower expenses lead to higher investment returns.
- We believe minimizing tax liabilities leads to higher investment returns.
We believe four factors determine 95% of a client’s lifetime portfolio return:
- Investor Behavior
- Asset Allocation
Most importantly, we believe that an effective investment strategy is the means to an end; it should be integrated with an overall plan to form the engine that drives the pursuit of your most important goals and dreams.
Furthermore, we believe your investment management strategy should match your risk preferences. To that end we have partnered with Riskalyze, the award-winning risk engineering technology, to mathematically identify your acceptable levels of risk and reward. Built on a Nobel Prize-winning framework, Riskalyze replaces terms like “conservative” and “aggressive” with the Risk Number, a quantitative way for clients and advisors to establish the correct amount of risk for their investments. Riskalyze helps us ensure that your portfolio aligns with your investment goals and expectations.
Together we can take the guesswork out of your financial future! Click on the button below to find your Risk Number and receive your FREE Portfolio Risk Analysis.
Capture Your Risk Number:
The first step is to take a five-minute quiz that covers topics such as portfolio size, financial goals and what you're willing to risk for potential gains. From there we will identify your exact Risk Number to guide our decision making process.